- Published: 21 Jan 2020
Providence Ministries, Inc. was founded in 1980 by Sr. Margaret McCleary, a member of the Sisters of Providence. Our mission is to nourish hope and rebuild lives through the provision of housing, food, clothes, culinary training, and recovery support. Our vision is to be a beacon of hope, a safe place for those who need help as well as an organization where volunteers are committed to helping others. We are part of the Sisters of Providence Ministry Corporation who has a 140 year history of providing healthcare and human services to those in need. We live out our mission and vision through a full range of programs providing food, clothing, housing and job training.
POSITION TITLE: Thrift Store Manager (Part-Time)
REPORTS TO: Associate Director
GENERAL JOB SUMMARY:
The Thrift Store Manager will work with the executive staff of Providence Ministries to expand revenue through its retail operations by offering donated items for resale in a dignified environment. The Thrift Store Manager will work with the Associate Director to implement store and associated services.
- Oversee the general operation and success of the retail thrift store, including receiving and processing donations, as well as displaying merchandise
- Manage and direct sales performance of the store
- Coordinate, schedule and manage deliveries and pick-ups, including donations and discard with Planet Aid for poundage
- Work with Associate Director to utilize and analyze sales reports for optimal store performance
- Coordinate and manage volunteers and their schedules and assigned duties
- Train volunteers and state work-program participants in thrift store duties
- Operate cash register, reconcile cash with sales receipts and keep record of transactions
- Be responsible for the positive image of the thrift store and promoting its purpose in the community and within the Ministries’ network
- Research and explore suitable street level venue options within budget criterion
- Coordinates activities of the Thrift Store while adhering to the Procedures and Policies Handbook.
- Attends organizational staff meetings and reports on activities and shares statistics of the Thrift Store.
- Performs other related duties.
- Three years, or more of retail and management experience
- Familiarity with merchandise promotion and sales techniques
- Experience with money/ budget management
- Experience managing personnel in a retail environment
- Genuine enthusiasm for the mission and values of Providence Ministries, Inc.
- Be in good physical condition, with ability to lift and carry a minimum of 20 pounds
- Able to maintain proper confidentiality for each resident/consumer
- Have a valid MA Driver’s License
- Mission-driven, values oriented person with high integrity and supportive of the mission and values of Providence Ministries and the founding values of the Sisters of Providence.
- Demonstrates cultural sensitivity in language and action;
- Excellent creative problem solving skills including negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and generative resourcefulness
- Self-reliant, results-oriented, accountable
- Excellent management and supervisory skills with the ability to influence and engage others
Skills and Experience:
- Expert use of English grammar, punctuation, and syntax. Fluent in Spanish a plus
- Experience managing multiple projects, and effectively prioritizing while maintaining attention to detail and meeting deadlines.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of the team.
Software qualifications, include:
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Google systems, including Docs
Compensation: To be determined upon experience at conclusion of offer.
To apply: Please forward cover letter, resume and three references to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Providence Ministries is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, veteran status or other applicable legally protected characteristics.